Sam just makes you laugh. He looks like a blonde monkey in the picture with no shirt on. I cannot believe I let his hair get that wild. He truly is one in a million.


This time last year we were entering into the hardest time of my life and I know Samuel's. Last November after over a year of crazy vomiting episodes from pain, doctor's found an 8mm kidney stone in Samuel. An 8mm stone is HUGE for an adult, so for my 3 year old to have one that large was very alarming. Anyway, after 2 surgeries and a week of passing the broken up stone, Samuel was finally stone free. We just had a ct scan two weeks ago and Samuel is still stone free after a year. Praise be to God.
For the past year we have done several test, most include blood and urine, to check Samuel's oxalate levels. As of the latest ones, his oxalate levels in his urine continue to be alarmingly high. Doctors are now looking into a rare genetic disease called Hyperoxaluria. Hyperoxaluria has many forms but the common factor in all of them is excessive excretion of oxalate in the urine. When excess oxalate combines with calcium in the kidneys, the combination results in a kidney stone. Children who suffer from this horrible disease suffer continuous stone formation, which ultimately leads to kidney failure. The disease is very very rare (one in a million rare) and most doctors know little or nothing about it. Therefore, our specialist at Children's Hospital is referring us to a pediatric Nephrologist in Atlanta to either confirm or reject this diagnosis. The referral went out today and we should have an appointment on the calendar within a week. There are so many what if's..... like what if my child has this horrible disease? What if he has to have a kidney/liver transplant? What if the stones come back and Samuel has to endure the pain of more kidney stones? What if Hamilton and Jack have this too? Why Samuel?
Ultimately I know God is in control. At times that brings me comfort and other times I wonder how this could possibly all sift through His hand. I will keep family updated. In the meantime, please pray for wisdom for the doctor that will see Samuel in the upcoming weeks. Pray for Samuel to have a spirit of calmness as he already freaks when a doctor approaches him. Pray for wisdom for Kris and I as we continue to make decisions regarding Samuel's health. God only knows how much I love my children. It is more than I ever thought humanly possible. My heart literally aches at times thinking of my sweet Samuel. I am so blessed to be the mother of these three amazing boys. GOD IS SO GOOD TO ME. And I am so grateful.
3 comments:
Thanks so much for sharing what is going on. I am sure it is difficult to put your thoughts and feelings into words. I have been wondering what you had found out about your little Sam. I can honestly say I know what you are going through and I am praying so hard for you and your family in this. It is amazing how much we love these little people God has given to us! Please continue to keep us posted on how we can specifically be praying for you and Sam.
I am so sorry to hear about all that you and your family have been going through. I do know how it is to watch a loved one in pain and nothing you can do but wait to see what the Doctors can do to fix it. But, I have never had to do that with my child, which would be the hardest of all. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Love ya.
Bless your heart!! I know what it is to "wonder" what is next with your baby. But, the good news is, as you said, God IS in control and He IS on His Throne and will always be. We will pray special prayers for Sam and you and Kris!!
Please keep us updated with the appointment.
Love ya, Susan
Post a Comment