Thursday, September 17, 2009

What have we been up to?

A whole lot of school!!!!!
In the first civilizations, they would write on clay tablets. So one day the boys rolled out clay and wrote on it with a wooden stick. This was a huge hit. But very messy.




Boys working on geometry project!!
I love this picture because they are all concentrating so hard.



Samuel is so good at puzzles and manipulating shapes. He really enjoyed this project because he was good at it.

Painting a fish habitat.







Making Tumbleweed Stew.

We studied ancient Egypt and talked about pyramids and how they buried the dead. So everyone got to be a mummy.













The first two weeks in science we studied what dinosaurs had to do with the



Bible. So one day we made dinosaurs.



Saturday field trip to the McWain Center.



Touching sharks and rays.



Hamilton working on Spelling. The beauty of homeschooling is you can school in your underwear with your shirt off. That is how Samuel prefers it.



Samuel and Jack's table in the school room.



We studied space for a few weeks too. They made space packs and everyday had a mission and training to do. They had obstacle courses to run through in the back yard. They loved it. It exhausted me.







We have been very busy since the start of school. I wanted to kick off the school year with a wonderful schedule that would work for for everyone. My boys are so routine driven. I knew if we could start a good school routine then we would be GREAT (school speaking). I have succeeded. We start by 9 every morning. Which gives the boys time to do their thing and me time to pick up the kitchen and start some laundry. We all start the morning with a morning devotion for boys. It is a sweet time. Then we start language for Hamilton and letters and phonics for the little boys. They have an activity every morning to work on. It is always something fun.....cut and paste or scavenger hunt or something like that. They enjoy it and Jack especially looks forward to it. After the little boys leave, Hamilton and I work on reading, spelling, and math. We usually break around 11:30 and I begin working on lunch. When the little boys are resting in the afternoon, Hamilton and I finish up with Science and History. And Daddy ends the day with a chapter out of a book chosen by our curriculum. It is a very busy day to say the least. I am learning so much too. In History we are studying ancient empire's. I love it. I am learning so much of this stuff for the first time. Here are a few pictures from the first 6 weeks of school. Let me just say homeschooling is awesome and Hamilton is learning things he would never learn in public school. And he is still under Mama' wings. I love it.

4 comments:

Tennille said...

Are you taking applicants?!? I would love to join your school. I would even help with the laundry:) So glad you all are doing good. Love the pictures too-just precious!

Donna said...

AWESOME- Mama is doing such a good job! You are thriving not just surviving- I'm inspired!

Donna said...

I mean, did it take you four hours to post that much stuff?! Awesome- Bud's Best is in Hoover off of Valleydale Road on Riverchase Parkway. We went with the homeschooling umbrella group, but I think anyone can go on a tour- just call ahead (click on the link in my blog post for the website). I'm praying for Sam Sam's biopsy. God Bless that precious little boy!

--Shelley said...

are you still doing sonlight or The Well-Trained Mind? or neither. you can facebook me. i am really getting my mind going in this homeschool direction. we are officially doing it next year. scary but exciting.