Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Jack and Sam still playing "snow"
Hamilton cleaning......the dustbuster didn't work either
Sam covered in potting soil
Jack probably thinking "what in the world have my brothers gotten me into this time"
At the end of the day we are all one big happy family!!!!!!!!!!! I do love love my boys!!!!!


Yesterday was the most challenging parenting day I have had by far. I woke up to a head cold. No big deal, just did not feel my best. It was Kris's birthday, and since the boys and I had been in South Carolina over the weekend, I had many errands to run. I jump in the shower to peace and quiet. The boys were nowhere to be found. I thought they were just glad to be home and playing quietly in their rooms. So I begin blow drying my hair, thanking God for a few minutes to myself to get ready for the day. Next, Hamilton walks in with something white all in his hair wanting to know if I wanted to play in the snow with them. Wondering what in the heck is going on, I immediately stop what I am doing and run to the back of the house. I find Jack's floor covered in tiny pieces of styrofoam. They had helped themselves to one of my storage cabinets, taken the styrofoam out of a Christmas decoration box, and crumbled it into tiny pieces. Then after it was small enough, they began throwing it like snow. This stuff was impossible to get up. It doesn't vacuum (mine is currently stopped up from trying to vacuum the mess). It sticks and clings to everything....furniture, walls, curtains, EVERYTHING! After cleaning for 45 min and having it spread all over the house, I gave up and got the kids ready to run errands.........
by this time I really had turned into a witch and threatened the kids with their life about misbehaving in the store. We get to Walmart, ( which I hate doing especially with 3 children) get one of the big buggy's that hold 20 kids, and start working on getting my grocery list as quickly as possible. Of coarse, Samuel begins kicking and pulling Hamilton's hair, which causes Hamilton to go into meltdown mode. (We returned from SC at 2:00am Saturday morning so they were still tired from our trip). He screamed and cried and layed down in the floor and refused to get up saying he was too tired. As I am dealing with Hamilton, Jack has gotten out of the buckle and is hanging from the top of the buggy over the side. After getting only what I had to have, we check out. When we get to the car, I show them my wooden spoon I carry in my purse. Threaten if they ever act like that again I will all but beat them..........
headed to T.J Max to buy Kris a tie. At this point I really just wanted to go home.....really I wanted to drop the boys off at a daycare somewhere and then go home. But it was Kris's birthday, and I wanted him to have a gift to open. I can usually find him some pretty ties at great prices at tj max so we headed there. As soon as we get out the car, Hamilon started about being too tired to walk. We get in the store and Samuel starts running through clothes, pulling everything he can off the hanger. I grab ( literally grab 3 ties) and run to the check out. At this point, I take Jack out of the buggy and put Hamilton in because he is crying uncontrollably. As I am checking out, Samuel grabs the buggy with Hamilton in it and pushes him into a purse display. Of coarse, all of the purse fall to the ground. At this point I am fuming and probably need to spend some time in jail cooling off. I get them to the car as fast as I possibly can with Hamilton still screaming at Samuel for wrecking the buggy. I put everyone in their car seat as calmly as possible, lock the doors, grab my spoon, and head to the back to beat the tar out of Hamilton and Samuel.....
All is good for awhile, Samuel and Jack nap when we get home, I chatted with a close friend about my horrible day and she assured me I wasn't the only mom who had ever completely lost it with her children. Hamilton's Sonlight Homeschool material came in for next year which was exciting to go through. I began cleaning, baking a cake, and cooking dinner. (I did check my e-mail to find someome is taking legal action against me for selling something on ebay. Good thing my husband in an attorney.....bring it on!!!!) They boys get up happy and I was a happy mommy again. The weather was beautiful, so Hamilton suggested they all head outside. GREAT IDEA ......
while the boys were outside, I began to try to vacuum the remainder of the mess from the morning. All of the sudden, I heard banging on the back door. I look up and see Hamilton and Samuel necked, wet, and covered with black dirt. They had striped necked, played in the water hose, and then Samuel dropped one of my glass pots on the deck and potting soil went everywhere. Of coarse they had to have a dirt fight with it. I just started crying. Kris was on his way home, supper was not ready, the house was a wreck, the boys were past dirty, the deck was covered in potting soil. It looked like I has just layed on the couch all day while the boys had the run of the house...... when I had really been busting my butt trying to have a special evening for Kris. ..........
I guess some days really are like that. I am so glad it is not the norm at my house.

6 comments:

3boys247 said...

I enjoyed your blog. How old are your boys? Having 3 is fun and challenging everyday! Keep blogging!

foo said...

Ohhhhh Stacey...I've had those days as well! It always seems that while I am cleaning up the feathers that are strewn everywhere from cutting into a pillow, they (I have 3 also, but my middle is a girl-still messy)are smearing vaseline on something! Hang in there, you are definitely not alone, and Wal-mart is truly a nightmare with kids. I feel ya!

Anonymous said...

Stacey! What a day! Oh I've had those days. Goodness. It's exhausting just thinking about it. You are such a good mommy and wife and were brave to even attempt a day of errands with your three monkeys! Love, Donna

Anonymous said...

Oh Stacey,
You are scaring me. Do I really
want another one? :)
Cara

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.