Thursday, April 24, 2008

Samuel's Appointment Update!!

ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT?
Sam around 7 months old.
My sweet Samuel. We were at Children's Hospital yesterday seeing a kidney specialist. I was very disappointed with our visit. The doctor decided to put him on some medication to regulate some of his higher levels that seem to be causing stones. Which is fine, but after a few very uncalled for comments Mommy doesn't really trust this doctor. So I really don't know what we will do. Samuel has been regularly complaining for the past week with is stomach and back and the Doctor really did not address this. He said if he continues to complain take him to his pediatrician. Why do we even see a specialist if his regular doctor is capable of treating him?


The doctor really seem to zero in on the fact he thought Samuel was way too big for his age. Samuel has always been a big boy. Much larger than my other two boys. But no doctor ( and he has seen many) has ever commented negatively on his size. Samuel actually eats less than my other boys. The doctor continues to tell me not to let him have an open snack bar as Samuel is choosing from a snack bag I packed for him. (which consisted of apple sauce, raisins, and graham crackers) Immediately I was on the defense and let him know we drive an hour and a half to the hospital and back home. He told me "can he not go a few hours without food". LET ME AT HIM!!!! I wanted to say when is that last time you were in the car 3 hours with a 3 year old. If you have ever been in my house for an extended period of time, you know how strict I am about eating snack and what the boys drink. For heavens sake, I squeeze lemons to make their lemon ad, I juice their orange juice, and make our own bread. He was treating me like a mother who puts coke in a sippy cup. I was not upset at the fact he was telling me Samuel could stand to loose a few pounds, I agree. I was upset at how he really attacked me as a mother and said all of this point blank with my son sitting in the room listening to every rude word he said.


Ok, I feel much better now. Who knows what we will do next. Though out this whole experience I have learned you are your only child's advocate. Doctors do not always know what is BEST for your child. Pray for Kris and I over the next few days as we try to determine how to handle Samuel's heath issues. I obviously have a rotten attitude today, and I don't need to let that interfere with doing what is ultimately best for Samuel. I do love my SamSam.......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stacey,
I am so sorry you had to go through all this! Gerald just read this and asked "where is that drs bedside manners?" Obviously he has none!! We will pray that God will give you and Kris the wisdom to know what to do for your precious baby. Man, i'd hate for him to see Caroline...she 7 and weighs 75 lbs!

Love you all lots, Susan

The Dettling's said...

That's awful! I'm sorry you had to deal with such an awful doctor, especially when you were seeking help from an expert and trying to take care of your baby. I hope y'all get some relief and help soon. I know a pediatrician in Huntsville. His name is Kevin Ellis. Maybe he can help? If you go to see him, you can tell him I sent you.
Love you, Tally

Donna said...

Okay that does it- send me the docs name and momma will handle this. Unbelieveable. I don't know ANY toddler that wouldn't need a snack on a 3 hour doctor visit. So sorry that happened! Kiss sweet Sam Sam for me.

--Shelley said...

what's wrong with coke in the sippy? :)

Anonymous said...

Let me at him!!! What world is this doctor from!! not ours!! There is nothing wrong with his weight. He is just a baby. Ask him does he eat snacks. I guess Tonya would be locked behind bars if he knew that she rewards her twins in potty training with RESSE CUPS!!!!
Will keep you in our prayers that the Lord will lead you in the right direction. Give Sam Sam a big hug and kiss from Uncle Jesse and Aunt Wanda.
Love to all!!! Wanda