"B.A., a second grader at an elementary school in Alabama, has autism and doesn't know how to verbally communicate. While in class one day, B.A. began to scream and wouldn't stop when her teacher asked her to be quiet. B.A.'s teacher asked the classroom aid to restrain her. The aide took B.A. to a bathroom, tied her to a chair and left her there unsupervised. When the teaching aide returned to the bathroom sometime later to check on B.A., she had flipped the chair over, was hanging by the restraints and had urinated on herself. A report released last week by the Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program relates this story about B.A. as an example of the harm that can result from the use of seclusion and restraint in public schools. Alabama is one of 19 states that do not have laws regulating the use of seclusion and restrain in public schools, according to the report by ADAP, a federally mandated program that seeks to protect and expand the rights of Alabamians with disabilities."
The article goes on and talks about how teachers should be trained before being able to restrain a child...Blah, Blah, Blah
My thoughts......
1. You have got to be kidding me. If that were my child the teacher and the aide should put their shoes on at start running, because I would so be on their butt. And all three of my kids college would be paid for when I was finished. It is not rocket science to know that it is inappropriate to restrain (at all in my opinion but especially...) a child who lacks the ability to 100% communicate with you. Which autistic kids cannot do. Someone obviously missed a few special education classes in college.
2. Would we restrain a typical child???........HECK no because they are verbal and the first thing through their mouth when they get home would be "I was tied up today in the bathroom and because I could not move I peed on myself". There would be outrage because you don't treat typical kids like that.
3. I struggle to understand why is there a lack of sympathy/empathy from public, educators, even family members for families that have a child with special needs. For these families life is never normal. There normal is very different from your normal. A few weeks ago Anna and I were at Alabama Adventure. Before we even entered the park Samuel ( my 4 year old suspected of having Asperger's) began a melt down while we were in line. He was hot and did not understand why we were waiting in line. He began to mouth off "why did the lady in front of us have to spend so much money". Then he began that he had a "sun ache and needed to go home". At this point, he leaves me and his brothers in line and heads to the parking lot by himself screaming for us to leave him alone. The looks I was getting were unbelievable. Most looks were that of discipline your child lady......tear his but up. I wanted to cry, scream, physically hurt people, ripe their eyes out, etc. Having Samuel in public is a work for me. Ugly looks and staring adults don't help. Get down on your knees and be thankful it is me and not you.
4. I hope that Godly special educators realize what an important role they play in the lives of families with disabilities. I have never really looked at teaching kids with special needs as a ministry until now. Samuel was tested two weeks ago for Asperger's. We still have a few home visits and observations to do, but the doctor did say she thought we were dealing with Asperger's. (this is not common knowledge to most because we don't want him labeled before we have all the facts) When we left her office, I felt like I had a knife in my chest. On the one hand, I was some what relieved to know that something is going on and yes I can help him. On the other hand, I was mad, angry, depressed....why me, why us, why Sam. So many parents are feeling this way, and it is the perfect time to encourage them and share the love of Christ with them. And by loving their special needs child, you are in a way showing them Christ unconditional love for us. So for those special educators that think I am just a teacher making $30,000 year, remember you saving soles and working for the kingdom of heaven. Your support, love, and encouragement gets families through very difficult times. You are important and you are needed.
And why me, why us, why Sam........because we were hand picked by God himself for this task. And I am so thankful everyday (most days) for the things He teaches me through my circumstances. Would I have picked them for myself......no way. But they were hand picked for me by God and I daily remind myself that he gives me nothing I cannot handle.
A lot of rambling yes.....but oh so therapeutic for me.
4 comments:
Amen Sista- When Ben was diagnosed I thought my world had come to an end.
Boy was I wrong. God wrapped Ben up in such a beautiful package just for us. I am now a better person and mother because of it. I have learned more from Ben,who has no way to communicate,than I have from anyone or anything else. We are truly blessed that God has chosen us to be their mothers. What an honor!!
love ya, anna
Wish more people were as passionate about this as you-Sam is blessed to have you too!!!!
Amen again!! You and Anna are such an inspiration to me! I look at you two in awe with what you have to handle everyday. God knew what he was doing when he chose 2 of the "Munn" sisters to have His special kids. Please know that we love you all so very much and think of you so very often. Our prayers are with you and your families daily.
Love to all,
Susan
Stacey- this is a beautiful post. Your are such a thoughtful, intelligent mother and Sam is so blessed to have you in his life to be patient and relentless in growing him up to be a man of God. And you and Anna can help each other along the way. Special babies need special parents and that's you for sure.
Post a Comment