Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sam Update



Sam...where do I even begin.  First of all, we got a great report from our doctors at Emory in Feb.  Images showed that he was stone free.  Praise the Lord.  Our doctor also said that his kidney's looked prestine.  We are about to order another big urine catch to check his oxalate levels.  Keeping him hydrated, especially with the hot summer months coming coming up will be key to keeping him well.

Sam continues to be our crazy, fun, loving, son that makes us laugh harder than we ever thought possible.  He is playing soccer this year also which has been so good for him.  He undoubtedly is the biggest kid on his team.  He scored four goals last night and made his Mama super proud.  Sam loves playing on the computer, ds, and wii.  I am glad warmer weather is here so I can push him out doors to play. 

Sam continues to be very challenging to parent.  A year ago we began testing for Asperger's.  We stopped short of getting the diagonsis.  Partly because we were dealing so heavily with kidney issues then.  And not to mention we could emotionally and financially only go in one direction at one time.  Kris and I both know he has it and may look into seeing a neurologist  in the near future.  Sam has a lot of sensory issues:  loud noises, crowds, fire, steam, and blood from himself or anyone else.  We couldn't even put birthday candles on Kris's birthday cake back in Feburary.  All of that with social issues that just comes with Asperger's .  I hate it.  Right now my struggle is helping his brothers understand that "yes, Sam is different".  Sam does drive you crazy.  He screams and yell's and is totally irrational.  It will make anyone crazy, especially if you are with him ALL day.  But I have to remind myself that he acts this way for a reason and what makes him irrational and moody also makes him the most loving little boy ever created.  Weird mix huh.  We love Sam.  He definately keeps me on my toes. 

No comments: