Friday, November 30, 2007

Our Crazy 48 Hours!!!




I never want to repeat our last 48 hours. Sam came home Wed. morning from having his stone removed. By 1:00 pm, he was screaming with pain. Pain meds were NOT helping. I knew this was not expected because doctors said he may not even need prescription pain med. Around 8:00 pm, we were on the phone with the on call doctor which said the pain may be bladder spasms. He called in medicine for that, but at 12:30 pm, Sam still had no relief from pain. So we loaded him up, my mom stayed with Jack and Hamilton, and we headed to children's hospital. In the car, for whatever reason, sitting up seemed to help. So he feel asleep. Trying to avoid an emergency room visit, we turned around and came home. Wrong Decision.

Around 3:30 am we were loading him back up. We saw the on call urologist very quickly. He happened to be in with Sam's regular urologist during the surgery, so he knew Sam and his case. We removed the stint (Praise God). Then they did an ultrasound of his bladder and found that he was not emptying his bladder when voiding. He was not voiding because it hurt too bad, but in return his bladder was so full this was causing a whole new set of problems. So they catheterized him (which took 4 people to hold him down) to completely empty his bladder. Between getting the bladder empty and the stint being out, he was already feeling better. The doctor sent us home with a prescription with a medicine that numbs the bladder. This keeps him from being in so much pain when voiding.

We got home from the emergency room yesterday morning, and Sam has slowly shown progress. Today is a much better day than yesterday, and I would imagine tomorrow will be even better. He is still passing a ton of stone. And I mean stone you can pick up out of his diaper along with smaller sand or gravel looking stuff. Doctors removed the larger pieces but said he would have to pass the rest. CRAZY!

Thanks again for your prayer, phone calls, e-mails, and offers to do anything in the world for us. Going through this whole ordeal gives me a new perspective on parenting and life in general. Keeping the house perfect and laundry totally kept up doesn't seem so important anymore. The love I have for my boys is immeasurable. I have been constantly reminded of Proverbs 31 over the past few weeks. My biblical job is my husband, home, and children. I am so grateful that those 3 things are truly the desire of my heart.

Please continue to pray for Sam's recovery. As for now, the stone has been sent off for testing, and we are to meet back in 1 months for those results and for a 24 hours urine catch. Still a long road ahead, but we want to gain enough information over the next few weeks to avoid another episode. We will keep you updated!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stacey! What in the world? That baby has been through so much. I'm so sorry. You are in my prayers. Love, Donna

Anonymous said...

Stacey,
My goodness I am so sorry you are all going through so much. I will continue to pray for you and your family.
Love, Cara