Many of you know the heath problems Sam has been dealing with. We have been back and forth to children's hospital trying to pin point the specific problem. He as had, and for almost 2 years now, episodes of severe abdominal (we are realizing recently back pain too) to the point of vomiting for hours. It usually happens around once every two months. Usually after the episode passes his pain is relieved, though he does complain numerous times during the month that he doesn't feel well. An let's remember Sam just turned 3 the end of Sept.
In August we had numerous test run at Children's to rule out a UPJ obstruction (which is an obstruction where the kidney's meet the ureter), renal reflux, and tons of blood work to rule out other problems. All negative, which was great, but we still did not have a diagnosis. An ultrasound did show hydronephrosis (enlargement of the kidney) but at this point no one knew why. Which was the cause of all the above test.
Anyway, nothing was found, and we were sent home to come back in Feb for a repeat ultrasound to check on the right kidney and sooner if need be. So......Wed. night, after complaining for about a week with back pain, he woke up at 11:00 screaming with back pain and by 12:00 was vomiting from it. This time was different. Kris and I had never seen him in this much pain. He was screaming, rolling on the floor, rocking on the floor on all fours, vomiting, and at one point passed out. This continued ALL night. It was heartbreaking to see my child, my baby in this much pain. My heart ached for him. He was vomiting pain meds and the only thing that give him much comfort was a hot bath. Which he would get in and and out of numerous times throughout the night..... by 3 o'clock that morning he was having to be held up in the tube because he was so weak. Anyway we made it till morning and was at my pediatrician's at 7:45. He checked his urine, which he said looked really bad and was full of blood, and sent us to a radiology clinic for an ultrasound and possible cat scan depending on what the ultrasound showed. Well the Ultrasuede showed hydronephrosis (enlargement of the kidney). So that sent us for a cat scan which showed a kidney stone 9mm wide. So was Sam in pain? More pain than most men have ever felt in their lifetime and only a few women who chose natural child birth. (Which most of us don't because we are wimps and have no desire to experience that intense amount pain.) So they wanted to admit us to out local hospital and I declined. I felt I could make him more comfortable at home while doctors talked to give us a game plan. At this time, the episode had mainly ended though he was very weak, pale, and tired. So we go home and shortly receive a phone call from our local doctor that he had been in contact with Sam's urologist at Children's. He said the stone is way to large for Samuel to pass on his own and he wanted to see us shortly. Anyway the plan is, Sameul will have surgery on the 29th to break up and remove the stone. If he gets into trouble before then, he will go have surgery to have a stint put in to enlarge the ureter so urine can pass though until the removal of the stone can be done. ( the obstruction of the kidney stone causes urine unable to flow freely from the kidney to the bladder. Which is why his right kidney is enlarged. And this also caused extreme pain.) Until then we are to manage his pain. Whatever that means. I would love for every doctor that has seen Samuel to pass a 9 to 10 mm kidney stone and try to manage their pain. I am upset they will not be able to remove it for another 2 weeks. That seems a little harsh for Samuel. But that is not over yet. My bulldog of a husband has a call into our urologist to ask why so long and can it be moved up. Doctors have to hate to see us walk though the door.......an over-protective mother and her attorney husband. Oh well.
So please pray for Samuel. Our prayer is that he remain as pain free as possible until the stone can be removed. We DO NOT want the stint put it. After the stone is removed, the next step is to find out why my 3 year old is passing repeated kidney stones. But for now we want it OUT. Pray for this hysterical mother who is tired, stressed, and trying to make the best possible decisions for Samuel. I love Samuel .....I adore Samuel......I do not want to see Samuel suffer anymore. Yesterday when we were sitting in the hospital all I wanted was to be at home, living my boring life, watching Sam play, laugh, and fight with his brothers. I want take those days for granted again. Nothing in this world matters to me but Kris and my boys. God is good. We are trusting Him, knowing Samuel is his child and he WILL be taken care of my his Heavenly Father.
4 comments:
Stacey! I am SO SORRY. I cannot believe that they are making you wait weeks for surgery! He is three years old! I would think this would be an emergency procedure. I am so sorry for your angel. We will pray for him to get some relief and for a hastened surgery. I know you are a basket case. You are such a good mommy. I'll call soon- Love, Donna
Oh I am crying with you for your sweet 3 year old baby. May you all be able to find peace and comfort during this Thanksgiving week.
I will definitely keep your son in our prayers. I didn't know he
was having some medical problems. I couldn't imagine going
through that. You sound like a wonderful Mother, and I know you
are giving your baby lots of comfort.
Take care,
Cara
stacey,
thank you for keeping me up dated about sam. we will keep him in our prayers. I know it is hard to watch him in pain. they can give him major pain killers. i have been there twice, but nothing that big. If they can retreve the stone with surgery then they can analysis it and determine what is causing them. I know you feel like you are living with a time bomb waiting for it to go off any minute. I pray that you willnever have to go through another night like you did with sam. It is hard to watch them go through pain. stones move more at night because your kidneys work more at night when you are at rest. I have slept on the bathroom floor before.
keep me posted. we are praying.
reeree
Post a Comment